I grew up as more of a meat and potatoes kinda girl and my husband is the exact same way. Salad never makes its way onto my menu plan for the simple fact that it never gets eaten but after watching The Pioneer Woman on The Food Network I decided to try this “manly” salad for dinner and surprisingly, my hubby loved it!! I absolutely love watching cooking channels to get ideas for meal options but most of the time I end up making it “healthy” to fit my family’s eating style. Nothing wrong with improvising!! Her recipe includes instructions for the fried onion strings but I left those out as I was trying to keep it healthy! For her exact recipe click here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/big-steak-salad/
My variation is as follows!
- 2 ribeye steaks or your preferred kind of steak.
- Lettuce mix
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 package of sliced mushrooms
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Cheese (optional)
- Fajita seasoning
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs soy sauce (I used gluten free, low sodium)
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs minced or chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- To make the marinade, combine all ingredients in a bowl, jar or ziploc bag and mix/shake vigorously until well combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Put steak into a ziploc bag and pour HALF of the marinade into the bag, refrigerate and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Saute zucchini and mushrooms over medium high heat in olive oil and fajita seasoning. When cooked, set aside.
- Grill the steak in the pan that the vegetables were cooked in until cooked as desired. We usually eat ours medium to medium rare (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Remove the steak from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool enough, slice across the grain into thin strips.
- In a large bowl or serving dish, add lettuce mix, cheese, tomatoes, sauteed vegetables and add dressing to taste. Toss to coat.
- Add steak to top of salad and enjoy!!